10 Reasons To Stay Away From The Film Business.
I did not write this to sound bitter. In fact I am one of the lucky few that actually make a living as a Cinematographer. I just wanted to share some of the hard truths about this business. Here are just a few reasons to stay away from this industry. (if you can)
10 Reasons to stay away from the film industry. From a camera perspective.
- The hours are incredibly long, a typical working day is around ten hours and can easily lead into a fourteen to twenty hour day.
- We rarely get paid weekly. Most production companies use a payroll company and that means it can be anywhere from 30-60 days before payment.
- Most Producers think that their gig is the only one that you are dealing with and rarely consider the other jobs you may be doing at any given time.
- If the equipment fails, it’s your fault.
- Try getting the footage for your demo reel. Ha!
- Someone else will always take credit for your work.
- Very little appreciation for a job well done.
- Rates are always changing depending on the budget. How many times have you heard, “This is going to be a great project for your reel. We have no money but it’s going to be Epic!” ?
- Most people are freelance and get sucked into taking every job that is offered.
- Having to wait to hear that the footage is good until the next day, when it’s too late.