Canon Announcement Rumors Round Up. Final Thoughts.
The Uber announcement from Canon on November 3rd, 2011 is just a few days away and I wanted to lay out what I have heard about the cameras so far. Red is also announcing the release of the much anticipated Scarlet. This is all second hand info gathered from various sources and methods including carrier pigeon.
* There will be at least two cameras announced, possibly three.
* PL and EF for sure. I also think a 5D3 will be “announced” but not shown.
* A Set of Canon Prime Lenses will be shown. All manual capability.*** This is Big.
* We already know about two PL zooms shown at NAB 2011.
* Removable LCD.
* No 60P Full HD. Only 720
* 4:2:2 with 4:4:4 Upgrade as an additional upgrade.
* $10K plus for the EF model and up to $15K for the PL version.
* I think the 5D3 will be a little higher than 5D2 at around $3K.
* There will be less expensive models to follow.
This is a first generation camera and is bound to have issues. I am excited to see what Canon has done with the availble technology, however I also know that none of these cameras will be availble before January 2012. I will continue to use the Sony FS100 and Nex 5N for our documentary The Board Of Education.
I would not bank on any of these cameras until they can prove themselves in the field. I would also not base any project around these cameras. Use what is available now. They are not going to make your film that much better that it’s worth sacrificing time or money on untested new technology.