Why Not To Get The Canon 1DX For Video.
Today Canon announced the new Canon 1DX stills camera. It has a ton of great features for both video and stills, however I do not think this is THE camera for video. Canon has a reputation of releasing pro still cameras first then cheaper models will follow with improved features. This camera retails for $7K US. I suspect we will be able to get a XXXD or TXi in the near future with similar features. Here are a few reasons to not get this camera for video.
1. The form factor is all wrong. Most of the available accessories were made for 5D/Rebel size DSLR’s.
2. The battery system is not the same as 5D/Rebel line. They are almost 2X the price.
3. No 60P at 1080 X 1920. For a sports orientated camera this is a major fail.
4. Only slightly improved CODEC. Still in H.264 world.
5. Too big to sneak shots without permits. Try convincing a cop that you are just a tourist.
6. Cheaper models with similar features to follow.